Podcasting 101

By Jasmin Singer — September 01, 2011

At last week’s inaugural Vida Vegan Bloggers Con in Portland, OR (where else would there be a vegan bloggers conference?), one of the panels I had the pleasure of being part of was Podcasting 101. With the inspiring company of Colleen Patrick-Goudreau from Vegetarian Food for Thought — also check out the recent podcast interview she did for us), Webly Bowles from Stumptown Vegans, and Erika Larsen and Jordan Lyon Mackenzie King of The Cosmopolitan Hour, this panel focused on using podcasts as a tool for social change (not to mention fun — and sometimes contentious — discussion). The Our Hen House podcast is approaching episode 86 (“Sunriiiiiiise, sunset…. sunriiiiise, sunset… Swiftly flow the years….”), and in the past year and a half (plus) since we’ve started recording, we’ve not only gained listeners, but also insight.

The Our Hen House podcast in action. Photo by Lauren Krohn.

During a recent phone conversation I had with my 87-year-old vegetarian grandmother, who was on that very same episode as Colleen (helping us out with a review of Project Nim), Grandma summed up the importance and uniqueness of, as she calls it, “audio programs.” Grandma told me that when she was a kid — before TV existed! — she and her family would crowd around the radio in “the parlour” (read: the living room), listen to a “program,” and then afterwards, have a family discussion about it, sharing with each other what they each gleaned from listening. Grandma likened that to our podcast, saying that television tends to “do the thinking for you,” while “audio programs” allow you to absorb the information presented in a deeper, more thoughtful way. From Grandma’s mouth to dog’s ears!

There are a bunch of animal rights and vegan themed podcasts out there, ready for your listening consumption. These podcasts are free, and can shed light on a variety of issues from the world of animal rights. On a selfish note, even for Mariann and me — the hosts of the Our Hen House podcast — the dozens upon dozens of guests we have had have each taught us something new, allowing us to expand our minds and be armed with the knowledge  needed to go out into the world and create change for animals.

At our workshop in Portland, we presenters compiled a handy-dandy worksheet with tips for anyone interested in starting their own podcast, as well as a list of further resources and some suggested AR/vegan podcasts. We hope you check out the worksheet of Podcasting Tips (note: it’s a pdf).

comments

1. September 1, 2011 at 7:11 am

Thank you for the PDF! I attended your session and am anxious to give podcasting a try. I wrote a recap of my Vida Vegan Con experience yesterday and confessed my crush on you Jasmin (Mariann, I'm sure I would have a crush on you if I met you, too!) You're both doing amazing work! P.S. Jasmin,I'm the one who told you that on the day I needed to choose between Veggie Grill and Native Foods I listened to your podcast about both!

• September 1, 2011 at 8:27 am

Thank you, JL!! I loved your blog entry and am totally flattered! :-) Thanks for attending the workshop, too. It was SO great to meet you!! We love your blog. xo

2. September 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Thanks so much for this. I'm very excited to check out the how-to as well as the archive of podcasts you've done. I was delighted to find this blog, as I've been coming at the animal rights/veganism topic from the academic angle and have read the work Mariann has done with David Wolfson on animal law (I've actually cited it my own work!). So thanks to you both--you're doing such important work!

• September 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Thanks for that, Katie! It meant a lot to both of us!! :-) Keep up the great work!

3. September 1, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Jasmin, it was good to meet you at VVC and I loved the podcasting panel! I've been an avid listener of vegan podcasts for years now, and it was inspiring to hear from a panel representing so many different types of vegan shows. I love how everyone has a different style and approach to using their podcast as an effective advocacy tool and we'll take the information we gleaned back to All Things Vegan Radio and use it to make our local show and podcast even better. Your podcast is fun and informative - keep it up!

• September 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Barb, it was so great to meet you too, and thank you for these kind words. I look forward to checking out All Things Vegan Radio!! Thanks for all you do, and for your sweet disposition! :-)

4. September 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm

You rock my world, J. I couldn't attend the podcasting panel, but it's something I need to explore, and your tips will help. xo

• September 2, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Thank YOU, Gena! It was so great to get to know you a bit. I LOVE your work and am so excited about continuing to follow what you do, and to going out to play in NYC!