Episode 104: “It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.”

By Jasmin and Mariann — January 07, 2012

Welcome to the 104th episode of Our Hen House, featuring Bruce Friedrich from Farm Sanctuary

In today’s episode, we will discuss what makes some people act in unethical ways. This topic was inspired by a couple we passed “oo-ing” and “ahh-ing” in front of a puppy store, discussing which one to buy. It made us think of this saying by RD Laing:

In order to change something: The range of what we see and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds.

We’ll talk about that, and ruminate on how, as animal advocates, we can help people notice that they’re… failing to notice.

We’ll also banter about PortlandiaTOFU Magazine (check out the interview with Jasmin in Issue Six), and the new, raw, NYC restaurant that found its way into our hearts, Gingersnap’s Organic.

Joining us today is longtime activist, Bruce Friedrich, who will tell us about the plans he has with his new role at Farm Sanctuary – including the “Someone, Not Something” campaign, and how he intends to involve local community in ending animal cruelty and adopting a vegan diet.

For our review, Our Hen House’s brilliant intern, Sally Tamarkin, will join us for a fun look at the new board game, Fur & Feathers, which is dedicated to educating children and adults on the importance of remembering how our everyday choices affect the lives of animals. Not to ruin anything, but let’s just say that Jasmin kicked some ass. (And through the end of February, enter code “OURHENHOUSE” when you purchase your very own Fur & Feathers board game, and Our Hen House will get $5 of the purchase!)

All that, vegan banter, and of course, current events from the world of animal rights.

This week’s news items include:

“It’s not the load that breaks you down, it’s the way you carry it.” -Lena Horne

You can listen to our podcast directly on our blog (below!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes. Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment!  Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation. If you’re a weekly listener, you might consider making a recurring monthly donation. Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so it’s tax-deductible! Don’t forget — we’re reader and listener supported. Plus, we offer some fantastic thank you gifts for your donations. Thank you for helping us to create quality content, and for helping us bring you a new, hour-long podcast each week!

Photo at top of blog: Courtesy of Farm Sanctuary. Photo by Connie Pugh.

comments

1. January 7, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Great episode! I love the idea of F.S.'s "Someone" campaign and look forward to seeing it! Jasmin, I find that I eat higher raw in the winter, too! Don't know why, but I love it!

• January 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm

thanks, j.l.! it seemed counter-intuitive, but now that i know you're doing it too -- it seems normal! :-) thanks again for listening. xo

2. January 13, 2012 at 11:25 am

I'm a bit confused about the argument against buying a dog from a store. I understand the value of adopting from an animal rescue, but the animals that live in pet stores are often suffering and living in terrible conditions. Is it that you are opposed to giving money to a pet store owner? I know that the conditions are terrible, but you're still saving an animal from an awful situation, right?

3. Mariann Sullivan
    January 13, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Hi Mona, You actually hit the nail on the head. When you give money to a pet store owner, or to anyone who exploits animals, you're not only supporting what they've already done, you're providing them with the incentive to continue doing it. The people who are exploiting animals are only doing it because it's profitable. The ones who are really creating the incentive are the buyers, whether they are buying puppies, or meat, or eggs, or circus tickets. We should never forget about the ultimate victims of pet stores -- the breeding dogs in the puppy mills who spend their whole lives in hell. But I know what you mean about the puppies. If no one buys them, they could end up as victims too. That's why I think it's so important not just to boycott the stores, but to fight for changes in the law that will put them out of business. Mariann

4. Jessika
    January 16, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Love this episode! Bruce Friederich is always inspiring, and it's exciting to hear about the ethology studies on farm animals coming in the future...as well as all the other projects Farm Sanctuary has planned. Thanks for an informative episode, Our Hen House!

5. January 26, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Thanks for your response Mariann, that does make sense to me now. I feel embarrassed to say that I've been vegan since age 8 and I've never considered the issue of pet stores or puppy mills. I guess for some reason I thought the animals in pet stores just came from shelters, perhaps because I'm not a pet owner I've never encountered this dilemma. Dumb me, and this in the same week that I learned contact lenses are tested on animals! <3 the show ladies, I'll keep tuning in!