Episode 109: “The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.”

By Jasmin and Mariann — February 11, 2012

Welcome to the 109th episode of Our Hen House, featuring Lauren Ornelas from Food Empowerment Project

In today’s episode, we discuss clothing swaps, new juice joints, our deep love for pigeons, and how stupid we think Valentine’s Day is. (Well, mostly.)

Joining us today is Lauren Ornelas, the founder and director of Food Empowerment Project. Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Lauren is going to talk to us about chocolate, including the ethical issues that frequently arise regarding its production. You will definitely not want to miss this eye-opening glimpse into the oftentimes hideously cruel world of cocoa production. You’ll also learn about how to spot the truly ethically-sourced varieties (don’t miss F.E.P.’s Chocolate List), and why there is a correlation between boycotting animal products, and boycotting other unfairly-produced food products.

Since it’s Valentine’s Day, we’ll also be sharing some of your own stories of love – love of animals, that is. Many of you sent us your stories of animals who worked their way into your hearts, and, today, we’re going to highlight 5 of your touching tales.

All that, vegan banter, and of course, current events from the world of animal rights.

This week’s news items include:

“The love of all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.” -Charles Darwin

You can listen to our podcast directly on our blog (below!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes. Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment!  Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation. If you’re a weekly listener, you might consider making a recurring monthly donation. Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so it’s tax-deductible! Don’t forget — we’re reader and listener supported. Plus, we offer some fantastic thank you gifts for your donations. Thank you for helping us to create quality content, and for helping us bring you a new, hour-long podcast each week!

1. February 11, 2012 at 9:35 am

Though I am terribly embarrassed to admit that I am JUST getting around to listening to your podcast, I am so grateful for your shout out to all us single peeps on Valentine's Day. I've been single for years and years, so I'm used to it now, but I really did have a hard time with our single-people shaming society. Anyway, LOVE the podcast and you've got yourself a new fan!

• February 12, 2012 at 9:32 am

Michael, Thank you so much for this. Yeah, even though we're coupled, we both have a lot of feelings about "single person oppression," for lack of a better way to put it. Thank you so much for listening to our podcast. We're so excited that you've joined the Our Hen House family! Stay in touch! xo jasmin

2. February 11, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thank you for yet another great podcast! I think it is so important to spread the message of ethically sourced products! I think you'd be happy to hear that in Finland Valentine's Day is actually celebrated as "Friends' Day" which makes it equal for everyone, single or coupled, to enjoy! It's a great day to remember friends, human and non-human, alike! :-) So thank you and Happy Friends' Day! xx

3. February 12, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Totally hear you on the Valentine's Day thing! After about 2 years of being a couple, my husband and I decided to not celebrate Valentine's Day for several reasons. 1) It's a holiday that makes single people feel like crap. As a single gal, I swore not to let V Day bug me, but it always did. 2) It usually falls on a weekday and, after working and commuting all day, neither of us has it in us to be super romantic. 3) It always felt fake. Instead, we decided to each pick a secret date for the other during the year and do fun, sweet things for that person all day. Much more enjoyable! Of course, we're nice and romantic to each other all year, but putting aside one day of our own choice makes is that much more fun! We now have a few friends that have followed suit and we all feel quite content about dodging the Valentine's Day bullet.

• February 12, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Katrina, I TOTALLY LOVE THAT. And might, in fact, steal it. I also think it's nice to do romantic things for friends sometimes! It doesn't have to be "romance" in the sense of "wine and dine," but just tokens of appreciation, etc. Anyway, thank you for sharing this!! xoj

4. February 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm

another great podcast. Listening to Lauren speak is wonderful and makes me more and more convinced that veganism is not only capable of changing the world but most of all saving it!I will post this- there's so much valuable information!

5. February 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

I really love that you had Lauren on to talk about food justice but I was turned off by the way she talked about supporting the makers of her electronics. I know she was trying to be honest or self-deprecating to seem relatable but it came across kind of callous. She talked about vegans who don't care about food justice, but she seemed ok with coming across as someone who cares more about food justice than other areas that are possibly just as exploitative. With that said, I did learn a lot from this episode and will be using the FEP website to guide my purchases. Thanks for another great show!