Episode 141: “Do it with kindness.”

By Jasmin and Mariann — September 22, 2012

Welcome to the 141st episode of Our Hen House, featuring Jenny Brown, author of The Lucky Ones: My Passionate Fight for Farm Animals.

In today’s episode, we tell you about 2 exciting animal rights events we were a part of this past week. We’ll give you the low-down on Honey LaBronx’s new episode of the Vegan Drag Queen Cooking Show where, excitingly, we were the featured guests. We’ll let you in on the best healthy cookies Jasmin has ever made, and we’ll tell you about one of the best higher-end restaurants in the Pacific Northwest. Plus, Mariann will get us up to speed on her animal law classes from this past week, and we’ll talk, once again, about the — eh-hem — (so called) “vulgarity” on our show.

Joining us today is none other than the fabulous Jenny Brown, co-author of the new book The Lucky Ones: My Passionate Fight for Farm Animals. Jenny, who is also the co-founder of Woodstock Farm Animal Sanctuary, will talk to us about everything from the connections between losing a leg as a child and growing up to advocate for farmed animals, to how she handles the sadness and anger that comes with sanctuary work, to her methods of dealing with push back that she sometimes gets from mainstream media. In this impassioned interview, Jenny will quite possibly move you to tears, and ultimately, to action.

Following Jenny’s interview, we will give you our list of 10 Things to Beat the Back to School Blues (even if you haven’t been in school in decades). These tips are specifically geared for those of us who care about animals, and those of us who leave them off our plates.

All that, vegan banter, and of course, current events from the world of animal rights.

This week’s news items include:

“Do it with kindness.” -Jenny Brown

The Our Hen House podcast is sponsored by The Seed: A Vegan Experience, bringing you events, conferences, and happenings that raise awareness about the many delicious, cruelty-free alternatives to animal products. Learn more at theseedexperience.com.

You can listen to our podcast directly on our blog (below!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes. Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment! Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation. If you’re a weekly listener, you might consider making a recurring monthly donation. Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so it’s tax-deductible! Don’t forget — we’re reader and listener supported. Plus, we offer some fantastic thank you gifts for your donations. Thank you for helping us to create quality content, and for helping us bring you a new, hour-long podcast each week!

comments

1. September 22, 2012 at 10:46 am

okay, so i'm deeply biased, but this is sooooo wonderful!! hope everybody who eats food and lives on planet earth hears this...

2. September 22, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Great episode. Loved the cures for the fall/winter blues! Also -- I just made the kale salad from that recent Honey video. Wow. That's ridiculously good stuff. I almost felt guilty eating it because it tasted to naughty. :)

3. September 22, 2012 at 4:13 pm

P.S. LOVED the interview with Jenny Brown. I've been reading her book and it was neat to hear how the process worked. Also -- I heard that Diane Rehm show and was really disappointed in how Diane conducted herself - I normally love that show. And Jenny -- tears are a good thing. (You had me crying when you started.) How could you NOT cry upon seeing all those animals in need of rescuing. And if I come into some big money, I'll buy you some more acres of land. :)

4. Jill Russell
    September 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I LOVE that you both drink cocoa everyday! so I tried the baking chocolate with just hot water and, well..., does it take some getting used to? I'm so used to sugary cocoa! Any tips? thanks!!!!

5. Brighde Reed
    September 25, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Very moving episode. I cried with Jenny and feel her pain and anguish. Thank you for sharing Jenny. It inspires me to help animals more.

6. September 26, 2012 at 10:39 pm

thanks so much for the tips Jasmin.

7. Jill Russell
    September 26, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Hi again ( I accidentally send my last post before finishing it). I will try Stevia....I really like that stuff. I have a little bit of stevia in my coffee in the morning. I think I can get used to the taste...I used to put lots of agave in my green tea and now I love it in its pure form. Super podcast! The salad looked so delicious I wanted to try it right away...I only had a head of Romaine Lettuce but it worked well too.

8. September 27, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Lol, I just ordered some vegan DHA to help my fiance manage his mood and help improve his memory. What a coincidence!

9. October 6, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Another awesome episode. Loved the interview with Jenny Brown. I also did a (much shorter) interview with her a few weeks ago (animalvoices.org) and regret that I didn't have time to get discuss a lot of the more indepth things that you got into with her, so I thank you for that. I loved what she said about the NPR interview, as I had really wanted to ask her about that! Also really liked listening to your methods of destressing - something I can really use and do use.

10. September 22, 2012 at 4:32 pm

THX for listening, Katrina, and for your comments. So happy you are reading this book now. We are too, and I agree that it was really meaningful to hear Jenny's story while actually reading it. We will be there with you when we come into big money, donating big bucks to WFAS. :-) xo j

11. September 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm

Hi again, Katrina! I love the way you put that about the kale salad! It does indeed feel "naughty"! Thanks for watching, and for listening to the podcast. I'm happy that the "happy vegan" bit resonated with you. :-) xo j

12. September 22, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Yes, Gretchen! Totally agreed. I hope everyone hears Jenny's truly moving words. She is such an inspiration (AS ARE YOU!!!!). xo j

13. September 25, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Jill -- I feel your pain. I used to think it was the grossest thing in the world. Mariann would have it every day and BLECH! I hated it. But I would have a little here and there, and I just got used to it. I'd say it does indeed taking getting used to, like coffee (not that you should get used to coffee). Try the cocoa powder and hot water with a touch of stevia at first, and then reduce the amount you are using. See if that works? You might also try it every day for a week and see if your taste buds shift a little. It also depends on the rest of your diet. We tend to not have too much sugar (usually), so we don't crave the super sweetness. Lastly, accept it for what it is. It is not going to taste exactly like traditional "hot cocoa," just like vegan cheese doesn't taste just like the cheese we take from cows. But some vegan cheese is quite delicious in its own right. Cocoa with hot water is its own thing, you know? In time, I think you too might LOVE IT! THANKS for listening! :-) xo