Flock Only: There is No Activism That Doesn’t “Count”

By Jasmin Singer — May 30, 2013

Dear Flock,

I recently asked you to brag.

The rest of this post is viewable only to Flock Members! To read the rest, please LOG IN or JOIN OUR FLOCK today! Our Hen House is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Thanks!

1. May 30, 2013 at 11:10 am

Danielle, this is WONDERFUL!! GREAT JOB!! I think you are awesome! What you are doing is a great thing and it is very inspiring. Thank you for sharing your story. Also, thank you to you too Jasmin for your comment, "There is no such thing as activism that doesn’t count." I agree 100%. Also, the questions that you closed the article with are truly thought provoking. I have been asking myself those questions a lot lately and reading them her on this post along with Danielle's awesome story just intensifies my thoughts and reflections. I always feel that my being vegan, for the animals, speaking my truth, and donating to animal rights charities regularly is my activism, and it's important, BUT I've been trying to realize how I can take my activism to the next level and do much more for the animals. I think and I think and I have yet to discover how to apply my skills and passions in a way that will change the world for animals. OF COURSE, I won't stop thinking until I figure it out! But, I wish I could speed the process along and have the solution, to my questions, magically appear to me TODAY and get started. So, this is a process for me. I'll keep you posted! Thank you ladies.....you are all awesome and fabulous! -Patty

• Jasmin Singer
      May 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm

What an incredible post, Patty!! Thank you so much for taking the time to "think out loud." I'm sure that a lot of people will be nodding vehemently as they read this. BTW -- I hope you have a chance to putz around a bit on the various sections of Our Hen House -- like Art of the Animals, Grazing in the Grassroots, etc. I would imagine that some of the stories we highlight will resonate with you and will give you an idea of how you can step up what you're doing insofar as your personal advocacy (btw, it sounds like you're already doing some great stuff). I'm excited to hear more about how it goes for you. Definitely keep us posted!! xo j

2. May 30, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Finally getting some time to log in on my off day and am sooooooooooo inspired by Danielle!!!! Thank you for sharing your story, you rock!!!

• Jasmin Singer
      May 30, 2013 at 3:25 pm

I agree! Danielle is super amazing. Thanks for reading and commenting, Amy! xo j

3. daniellep
    May 30, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Oh gosh, I'm feelin' the love right now!!! Thanks Patty and Amy, it means a lot that you're inspired by my story! (And thanks a million more times for this post, Jasmin!) It took me FOREVER to realize that my translation skills could play a part in spreading the word about how we can help animals. Sometimes it's just too darn obvious! So Patty, don't give up: the answer might be right under your nose... I look forward to hearing about your activism!

• Jasmin Singer
      May 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm

So happy you wrote to me, Danielle! You do such incredible work. Thanks for inspiring all of us! xo j

4. May 30, 2013 at 8:00 pm

I love this story! It made me laugh because I think the same thing: " if Jasmin and Mariann are pissed off, then I know I’m right!" Also, that's really touching how Danielle is using her skills. I started wondering recently what else I could be doing for the animals. Danielle's story and Jasmin's questions have inspired me to stop wondering and start acting!

5. May 30, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Fantastic! Danielle, your part is anything but tiny! I hope your work with MFA Canada leads to more exciting opportunities. Can hear my applause and cheers? :-) Thank you so much, from a fellow word professional, for everything you're doing.

6. May 30, 2013 at 9:11 pm

One more reason to love OHH -- you encourage us every day! I never would have dared to call myself an "activist" before I started to listening to and reading OHH content. And here you are inspiring me again by sharing even more great ideas!

7. daniellep
    May 31, 2013 at 8:23 am

Thank you for your kind words, ladies! I love the Flock! You're giving me strength and courage to keep going in spite of my shyness. My motivation and inspiration are renewed.