Episode 231: “I know of only one duty and that is to love.”

By Jasmin and Mariann — June 14, 2014

Welcome to the 231st episode of Our Hen House, a place to find our way to change the world for animals.

Untitled

In today’s episode, we bring you another installment of highlights from recent interviews on the Our Hen House TV Show, a co-production with Brooklyn Independent Media, with special guests Rose McCoy, Annie & Dan Shannon [transcript of Rose McCoy and Annie & Dan Shannon], Sangu Iyer [transcript], Victoria Moran, Jenné Claiborne [transcript of Victoria Moran and Jenné Claiborne], and David Karopkin [transcript].

You can listen to our podcast directly on our website (beneath this paragraph!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes and Stitcher, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment! Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation, or becoming a member of our flock (especially if you’re a regular listener). Any amount is hugely appreciated and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, so it’s tax-deductible! You can also dedicate a podcast episode! Don’t forget – we’re reader and listener supported. Plus, we offer some fantastic thank you gifts for your donations. Lastly, we are excited to be able to offer you written transcriptions of our podcast interviews (beginning with Episode 188). Thank you for helping us create quality content, and for helping us bring you a new podcast episode each week! For a list of the news items we discuss in today’s episode, and then some, take a look at the breaking news ticker at the top of the page, and also check out our list of archived news items. The Our Hen House theme song is written and sung by the incredible Michael Harren.

“I know of only one duty and that is to love.” -Albert Camus

comments

1. Kim Flaherty
    June 14, 2014 at 12:03 pm

This is such a bummer. I guess I'll just stop watching the show so then this won't be repeated material. I appreciate all the work you do but I may need to re-think my monthly contribution which I started because I enjoyed and wanted to support a weekly podcast of new material.

2. Samantha
    June 14, 2014 at 11:05 pm

I'm sure you are both very busy with both the tv show and the podcast but this is disappointing.

3. Samitha
    June 16, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Disappointed you two chose to do a tv show repeat podcast this soon after your last one. I personally don't find these valuable. If people watch your show this is just repeated material and people who don't can always watch if they are interested! This isn't an effective way to provide content that will inspire others to change the world for animals. How about you have some of your interns do an episode with new and valuable content? This would make me sad too because I love you two ladies and what you offer but it would be preferable to repeats. Love, Samitha

4. wildflower
    June 17, 2014 at 10:33 am

To previous posters: let's be grateful that we have access to a free podcast that's all about veganism/animal rights and that these two women found the time to entertain and educate us for this long. It's pretty amazing they keep it up after all this time... I don't watch the show, only listen to the podcast and I think that's an option for those who don't want to hear the same material again. Some people prefer the visuals, but for me the podcast is easier because I can listen to it while traveling or walking... or even cooking or exercising... Thanks Jasmin & Mariann for everything you do. I (and I'm sure many other fans) appreciate it!

5. Samitha
    June 17, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Wildflower- no one is being ungrateful here. We are voicing our opinions in regard to how to improve the podcast in order to most effectively inspire others to change the world for animals. I think Jasmin and Marianne both appreciate feedback so that they may continue to provide high quality content to an ever larger audience. This is something new and experimental in order to juggle competing demands on their time. I think it is important for them to know if a repeat episode is the most valuable use of their time and how they may better make use of it (e.g. allowing interns to provide new content).

6. wildflower
    June 17, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Sure Samitha, I'm just being protective of my fav podcast. :)

7. ekbuff5
    June 23, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I have to agree with previous posters...I understand you wonderful ladies have many more things to do each day than you have time in the day, but it is kind of hard to listen to these TV episode podcasts. For one, it gives me no incentive to watch the show, as I know it will be repeated later on a podcast. Also, many of the guests you have are chefs, and it is really hard to listen to people cooking without being able to see anything. Thank you for all you do!