New Video Exposes Chicken Cruelty

By Jasmin Singer — October 06, 2010

Yet another video has come out exposing the horrors of animal agriculture — this one focusing on chicken production. What I like most about this video, entitled “Chicken: The Hidden Truth,” and produced by Saving Animals Canada, is that in addition to showing footage of the many atrocities inherent in chicken production, the story of one lucky rescued hen — Belina — is woven throughout the 9 minute piece. Showing the juxtaposition of how our society treats farmed animals (particularly birds, who are even excluded from the meager protections of the Humane Methods of Slaughter Act), while also following Belina and her human companion, the viewer is forced to confront the fact that chickens are social, brave animals.

New video exposing chicken cruelty acts as great activist tool.

The video reinforced for me the idea that sharing the stories of rescued animals — preferably through video — can put a much-needed face onto the otherwise “faceless” animals (50 billion of them worldwide each year) who are raised in misery, then slaughtered. For folks who aren’t able to make that connection in person at a sanctuary, documenting the animals’ stories on video can truly pack a punch. (Also see Sanctuary Tails, Farm Sanctuary’s shelter blog which includes videos and photos of rescued animals.)

comments

1. October 6, 2010 at 10:56 am

I love this video. The only problem is that the music is louder than the speaking on the footage of the woman who cares for Bellina. It really detracts. Videos like this are a truly great tool as you say, but they need to have excellent production quality to make the biggest impact.

2. October 6, 2010 at 3:57 pm

This made me teary sitting at y desk at work. I think films like this are alot further reaching as they tend to be more intimate than the undercover footage.showing hundreds of chickens at once. I never knew that chickens were bred to die young. This is why vegan matters. We have a choice, unlike our ancestors who ate what they had available. We have so many choices available to us at any given moment. We as human beings do not have the right to take every living being hostage and treat them as commodity. I have heard animals refered to as "Product" numerous times in videos, documentaries, etc. Animals do not belong to us.....nor do we have the right to eat every living thing on the planet to simply satisfy out idiotic craving for a cheeseburger, or fried chicken. We have put men in space...yet we can not evolve enough to understand that it's wrong to have an assembly line of animals for slaughter and being abused and tortured only to die an untimely death at the hands of money hungry profit greedy monsters. I would LOVE to see more films of this nature. Rock on Vegans!

• October 6, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Lisa, what a beautiful comment -- thank you for that. And right on... Video is such an important tool.

3. October 7, 2010 at 12:27 am

I really connected with this video... I once rescued a "broiler" chick - "Liz". She was a great bird --- Sweet and gentle... Tried so hard to fit in with the rest of the flock which were her thin counter-parts... All hens rescued from an "egg" factory... Anyway, Liz made it to 10+ months. With the absolute best of care I've never heard of one of these Cornish "meat birds" living more than a year. How insanely tragic to breed animals with such a short life span. But then I guess if the industry had it's way... If they could do in 6 days what now takes 6 weeks they would. Bottom line is all they know... They don't care about the Belina's or Liz's. I do! And I'm thankful other people care too... Great video - Anything to get people to THINK about their choices! ;)

4. Candy, Chicken Rescue and Rehabilitation South Africa
    May 28, 2011 at 12:16 am

Very powerful. Inspires me to make some of my own home vids of our girls. This could have been me with my first broiler rescued, and my 2nd, and my 3rd......the shock of dealing with that tiny chick in a gross oversized body is painful. We have extended broiler hens lives - a good quality of life - to 18 months. We make sure they have their layers mash or pellets, but also substantial amounts of fresh veg magi mixed. This ensures that they feel full and comfortable, but are not being overfed on grains and fats. Because of accelerated growth, my experience with grwoing broilers, is that they are ravenous all the time. Broiler roosters are just too heavy, and 5 months, has been what we could manage to give them, without putting them through any more unnecessary discomfort. We had a broiler rooster that got to 7kgs in 4 months. It was frightening to watch.

• May 28, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thank you, Candy. What you do is so very important. We hope to visit your sanctuary in South Africa sometime.

5. rashid abass
    September 22, 2011 at 4:45 pm

I am a radio presenter for IFM port Elizabeth south africa on regional 97.9 East cape and www.ifmlive.co.za audiostream I would like to interview someone who would be willing to discuss the cruely involved in the chicken 'industry' which is based on institutionalised cruelty. You may contact me on 082 630 6056 or 041 457 3794 thank you rashid abass

Get OHH By Email!