Episode 85: “Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.”

By Jasmin and Mariann — August 27, 2011

Welcome to the 85th episode of Our Hen House, featuring Carol J. Adams.

In today’s episode, we explore vegan mentions in non-vegan-specific books, examine our I-just-don’t-get-it attitude towards avant garde art and how we’d much rather look at a bird, ruminate on hope and whether it’s justified, and get you up to speed on some personal happenings in our lives. Today we come to you from Sag Harbor, where we’re visiting family and searching for a good vegan meal.

Joining us today is Carol J. Adams, author of the critically-acclaimed book, The Sexual Politics of Meat, which was just republished for its 20th anniversary. Carol will chat with us about everything from how the feminist-vegetarian scene has changed since she wrote the book, to her thoughts on the fictionalized version of her that appeared on the “Beef episode” of Law and Order SVU.

For our review, we’ll share our thoughts on Dr. Michael Greger’s newest nutritional DVD, which examines everything vegans and not-yet-vegans need to know about the latest health research. You won’t want to miss this review on an eye-opening – not to mention artery-opening – DVD.

All that, vegan banter, and of course, current events from the world of animal rights.

This week’s news items include:

“Sentiment without action is the ruin of the soul.” -Edward Abbey

You can listen to our podcast directly on our blog (below!) or you can subscribe on iTunes. Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment!  Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation. Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so it’s tax-deductible! Thanks!

comments

1. August 29, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I just discovered your site, and looking forward to catching up on your podcasts. Thanks!

• August 30, 2011 at 9:36 am

Jess, Thank you so much! We love new listeners, and we have a lot of fun with our podcasts, so it's great that you've joined our little family! Stay passionate, jasmin

2. August 29, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I met you at the AR conference in Los Angeles at the Orientation for new folks to the conference. I have been a veg for about two years and a vegan for almost a year and all because my son has been a veg since he was about 18 (he is 40 now)....and because I have worked with animals for about 5 years. I really enjoyed your presentation and the conference in general. I have just listened to your podcast for the first time and really find that it is done well and you both are great. My friend and I are new to "animal rights" and we both attended the AR conference for the first time and we both thought you were one of the best presenters at the conference and you really impacted us in wanting to do more in the animal rights world. I have started to volunteer at a local horse sanctuary in my area....Heaven Can Wait Equine Sanctuary in San Miguel Ca. and she is still searching for something in her neck of the woods. She is just beginning her journey as a vegan and is very excited. I live in San Luis Obispo County and it is slim pickins over here in the way of Vegan restaurants etc. We only have two grocery stores that offer vegan options of any quantity but I try to shop around. The area is high in cattle raising so it is pretty depressing....but I am looking into doing some vegan consciousness raising etc. Thank you so much for all you do you are helping to keep us both "up" . Take care and thanks.

• August 30, 2011 at 9:35 am

Belinda, Thank you so much for this incredibly sweet email. I'm so happy that my talk resonated with you at AR. It sounds like you are doing incredible work. It can be hardest in areas like yours, where it is, as you say, slim pickins... But it's places like that where it's most important to nurture and foster community. I'm so excited about all the potential there, especially given your passion and dedication. And I'm happy you have your friend in this with you -- it's so important. Stay in touch and thank you again for that incredibly kind message. Stay passionate. jasmin

3. August 31, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Loved the interview with Carol Adams; so informative and thought provoking! Liked what she said about not having to defend yourself to your friends/family about choosing to be vegan. So I graduated from UNT and am AMAZED they have a vegan cafeteria! When I went ages ago and had to live in the dorms the only thing I could eat was from the salad bar...they've come a long way....and in such a 'meat state' it is really incredible and great to hear.

• August 31, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Thank you, Sheree! Yes, Carol is indeed fantastic. And that's so cool about UNT! :-)

4. Wendy Jackson
    March 10, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Hey ladies! I found your site a while back. I listened to all the 2012-13 podcasts first, and then I went back to the beginning to listen to all the previous episodes. I just got to this episode #85 and heard about the opening of the first vegan cafeteria in the nation at the University of North Texas in Denton where, coincidentally, I teach English as a Second Language. This podcast was posted back in August of 2011, and I'm happy to report to y'all that the vegan cafeteria is still going strong, and now all of the other cafeterias on campus offer vegan options as well. It's so convenient for me as a faculty member to get a vegan lunch on campus now, and I even take my husband and 3 year old son to the vegan cafeteria once a week for supper. My little boy loves the vegan soft serve that follows meals at the cafeteria. There is also a great new restaurant called the Bowllery in town that offers incredible vegan bowls with various mixtures of soba noodles or rice, sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, kale, etc. (www.thebowllery.com) So, vegan life in Denton these days is great! Next time you end up in North Texas, do yourselves a favor and come hang out in Denton for the day and get your vegan grub on! All of us from the Denton Vegetarian Society would be glad to show you around.

• Jasmin Singer
      March 11, 2013 at 8:39 am

This is such a wonderful, awesome update, Wendy! Thank you so much for letting us know! Denton sounds fantastic. How cool that it's so completely on the up and up with veganism! I'm also so happy that it's spread to the other cafeterias! We'll have to visit sometime! xo j

Get OHH By Email!