Episode 103: “Activism is the rent I pay for living on this planet.”

By Jasmin and Mariann — December 31, 2011

Welcome to the 103rd episode of Our Hen House, featuring Gena Hamshaw from Choosing Raw.

In today’s episode, we are putting aside our stomach virus and sharing with you – not our virus – but our feelings about the recent 42 million dollar donation to Heifer International, our experiences being perceived as the difficult vegans at our Christmas dinner, and our hopes for the New Year, vis a vis changes to our attitudes.

Joining us on this extra special episode – the last of 2011 – is nutritionist and writer, Gena Hamshaw. Gena, who is the mastermind behind the uber-popular blog, Choosing Raw, will let us in on how much raw food vegans should ideally have in their diets. She’ll also talk about how she incorporates animal activism into her mostly food-centric platform. And she’ll discuss disordered eating, and how veganism can act as a healing mechanism for people who have struggled with these issues. Gena will discuss loads more, too. You won’t want to miss this year-end interview with an incredibly articulate and insightful woman who is on the road to taking the medical profession by storm, the vegan way.

Then, Our Hen House’s Hollywood correspondent, Ari Solomon (of “Shit Vegans Say” fame), will be joining us for a very special musical tribute to some of the vegan and AR highlights of 2011. We flex our vocal chords too. Don’t miss this.

All that, vegan banter, and of course, current events from the world of animal rights.

This week’s news items include:

“Activism is the rent I pay for living on this planet.” -Alice Walker

You can listen to our podcast directly on our blog (below!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes. Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment!  Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation. Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so it’s tax-deductible! Don’t forget — we’re reader and listener supported. And through the end of the year, if you set up a recurring donation of at least $10 a month, you will receive a free, ethically-sourced Our Hen House tote bag. And also through the end of the year, if you donate a minimum of $250, we’ll send you a signed copy of a “Riot of the Hens” poster by legendary artist Sue Coe!

Thanks for helping to build Our Hen House!

Photo at top of blog from Choosing Raw.

comments

1. December 31, 2011 at 7:40 am

Of course you guys included that Alice Walker quotation, which is one of my all time favorites. I am so honored -- SO honored -- to be in this episode!

• January 4, 2012 at 9:42 am

that's such a great quote, gena. thank you thank you thank you for joining us in our hen house for this episode, the last of the year. it was so much fun having you with us. you're such an inspiration. xo

2. December 31, 2011 at 8:57 am

Loved Gena's interview. Seriously, after you read her or hear from her you have to wonder why everyone isn't eating more vegan or higher raw! Fun year-end song! One comment re: fur and comments to strangers on the street. Last winter I was wearing a coat with faux fur and someone yelled at me. I smiled at her, because I was actually walking to Frachia (a vegan restaurant) for lunch. She took the smile as smugness and followed me, yelling. Finally I said, "Lady, good for you, but this is fake, I'm a crazy vegan and am about to have a vegan lunch, care to join me?" She didn't. :)

3. Sarah E.
    December 31, 2011 at 4:26 pm

I love this! So many brilliant points. I love Gena and OUR HEN HOUSE! Go vegan powerful women!

• January 4, 2012 at 9:40 am

thanks, sarah. we LOVE gena too, and were thrilled and honored that she came to join us for our last episode of the year. thanks for listening!! xo

4. December 31, 2011 at 7:40 pm

Love the articles here. I had the happiest xmas dinner this year because I felt really good that no animals had to die for me to enjoy such scrumptious food. This is not the first time as I have been a vegan for over 10 years now but somehow this year's dinner had more impact and made me suddenly realise how the poor turkeys and chickens had to die for heartless humans. I love reading vegan blogs as it encourages me to go out and campaign for the animals.

5. January 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Definitely one of my favorite podcasts to date. Way to go out with a bang ladies!

6. January 4, 2012 at 4:27 am

The song was frickin' fantastic! And the interview with Gena was fantastic, too - I got a lot out of that. Thanks for another great podcast!

• January 4, 2012 at 9:34 am

thanks, alison! we're so happy you liked the song. :-) we had so much fun recording it. (rose, however, thought it was extremely inappropriate -- did you hear her barking in the background?? :-))

Get OHH By Email!