Episode 197: “If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.”

By Jasmin and Mariann — October 19, 2013
Theodora Capaldo

Dr. Capaldo

Welcome to the 197th episode of Our Hen House, featuring Dr. Theo Capaldo [transcript].

On today’s episode, we discuss commitment, self-denial, cronuts, and vegan saddle shoes. We’ll also chat about a new mobile public art installation by Banksy that is creating quite a stir here in NYC, and we’ll tell you about Mariann’s brand new ink.

Joining us today is Dr. Theo Capaldo, the president and executive director of the New England Anti-Vivisection Society, a national animal advocacy organization dedicated to ending the use of animals in research, testing, and science education – which, get this, was founded way back in 1895. Dr. Capaldo will discuss with us how her organization fights science with science. She’ll let us in on the current state of chimpanzee research, and what still needs to be done. And she’ll tell us what we need to do, right now, to help stop animal testing and experimentation.

For our review, we’ll discuss the results of our latest unofficial, unscientific Facebook survey, where we asked you to tell us what your favorite vegan Halloween candy is and why. ‘Tis the season to create a spook, but let’s leave the fright of animal oppression off our plates.

All that, vegan banter, and of course, current events from the world of animal rights.

For a list of the news items we discuss in today’s episode, and then some, take a look at the breaking news ticker at the top of the page, and also check out our list of archived news items.

micYou can listen to our podcast directly on our website (beneath this paragraph!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes or Stitcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment! Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation, or becoming a member of our flock (especially if you’re a regular listener). And here’s an extra, exciting incentive — ALL donations, including flock memberships, between now and December 31 will be matched by our Barnyard Benefactors! Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, so it’s tax-deductible! You can also dedicate a podcast episode! Don’t forget – we’re reader and listener supported. Plus, we offer some fantastic thank you gifts for your donations. Lastly, we are excited to be able to offer you written transcriptions of our podcast interviews (beginning with Episode 188). Thank you for helping us create quality content, and for helping us bring you a new podcast episode each week!

“If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.” -Henry Ward Beecher

comments

1. Kirsten Bayes
    October 19, 2013 at 4:18 am

Re. what do you get from veganism? I was reminded of the quote from Mrs Madrigal in Maupin's "Tales of the City". When asked about the principal benefit of gender transition, she replies "the friendship of women". I think that veganism's principal benefit is "the friendship of animals". Mrs Madrigal was right about the other thing, by the way ;)

• Jasmin Singer
      October 19, 2013 at 5:57 am

I totally LOVE that way of putting it, Kirsten!!!!! xo

2. October 20, 2013 at 10:49 am

I thought I hear Jasmin say, "So I googled it, and the regular and peanut butter kisses are vegan." Is this true? I did a few web searches but could not substantiate. This is a matter of national importance, of course. :) p.s. Another wonderful episode! Love you guys!

• Liz Dee
      October 21, 2013 at 10:04 am

Hi Amanda- Thanks for your message regarding this "matter of national importance!" ;) So, PETA lists Mary Janes as a vegan candy (http://www.petakids.com/vegancandy.asp). The ingredients are: Corn Syrup, Peanut Butter, Sugar, Molasses, Corn Syrup Solids, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Cottonseed, Soybean), Salt. Depending on where you stand on sugar, you may want to contact NECCO (makers of Mary Janes) to clarify if theirs is refined using bone char. I always recommend contacting the company directly prior to purchase. I hope this helps! -Liz

3. Berenice Weber
    October 21, 2013 at 5:02 pm

Hi lovely vegan ladies, I love crows too! You want to know more about them? Watch this great PBS documentary, A Murder of Crows, you can watch it online http://video.pbs.org/video/1569194820/

• Jasmin Singer
      October 21, 2013 at 5:05 pm

This is awesome! We WILL check this out! THANK YOU!

4. October 22, 2013 at 6:46 am

All that tattoo talk and no picture! I'm really currious about what an iridescent crow looks like in a tatoo. ;)

• Mariann Sullivan
      October 22, 2013 at 8:54 am

A photo will be forthcoming as soon as it heals, I promise. Right now, it looks like a big scab. I don't think it's going to be very iridescent, though I'm pretty sure it's going to be nice.

5. November 10, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Late to the game but RE: what do you get when you go vegan? For me, I gained a beautiful community, a sense of belonging, and a deep connection to other human beings. I found "my tribe," as a dear friend recently put it. Just today I hosted a brunch at a local restuarant for my vegan Meetup group and a new member whose a new vegan was asking if I found that I go out less since going vegan and the answer was a resounding "NO!" My social calendar is jam-packed! I have to turn things down on a weekly basis because I have so many new wonderful friends and this amazing group and we are constantly going out and doing cool things together. I agree that you gain a connection to animals, but I was amazed at the connection to other people. Other vegans feel like kin from the first moment. I tend to think I know people that I'm meeting for the first time because they all feel so familiar to me now. I've also gained a connection to non-vegans who now come to me with questions about "weird" things - diva cups, kale, quinoa, dairy-free options, raw foods, etc. I have a wonderful network of people at work that I know solely from them finding out I am vegan and coming to me with questions or to share knowledge. It makes me feel I am on the right path, and definitely strengthens my belief that all living things are connected, that we need to care for everyone/thing and behave as if our actions actually matter.

6. November 10, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Oh, also, Exit Through the Gift Shop is a really good documentary by/about Banksy. I don't know if it's still on Netflix but worth a watch :)

Get OHH By Email!