We are verklempt. We are (almost) speechless. We are grateful. To you…
Because of you — just in the nick of time (and we mean that) — we reached our goal of raising $25,000 (entitling us to receive our Barnyard Benefactors’ $25,000 matching donation)!
Because of your devotion to animal rights, this year — Our Hen House’s sixth — will be the year for such tremendous change and growth for animals, by way of a huge expansion of our media landscape. You did it. You helped us get there. Between your contributions and the Barnyard Benefactors’ matching donation, between October 30 – December 31, 2014, we raised $50,000 to change the world for animals. You are keeping vegan indie media alive.
This year we will continue our efforts to:
- produce a weekly, two-hour podcast episode (our fifth anniversary of the show is this month — and we have literally never missed a week!);
- produce a bi-monthly TV show (a co-production with Brooklyn Independent Media — and stay tuned for a new episode coming on January 5);
- publish a new eBook (and don’t miss our most recent one, The Lines We Draw, by Sangamithra Iyer);
- publish, via our online magazine, regular exclusive feature articles by some of the best and brightest thinkers, movers, and shakers from the world of animal rights (the ones queued up are just fabulous — you will see…);
- travel around the country (and beyond) giving talks, lectures, and workshops on everything from Animal Law, to Activism 101, to Veganism 101.
On a personal level, Jasmin will continue to work on her memoir about food and activism — to be published in February, 2016, by Penguin Random House’s imprint Berkley — and Mariann will continue to teach Animal Law at Columbia Law School and Cardozo Law School. We’re excited to be traveling to Harvard next month, where she will be a judge at the annual Animal Law Moot Court!
There are other changes and expansions in store for Our Hen House, some of which we will be telling you about in the coming months. But just to give you a glimpse into our crystal ball:
- we will be hosting three events this year in the NYC-area — and they might just warrant those of you out-of-towners to cash in on your frequent flier miles;
- we are in plans to expand the OHH media landscape, to host not just our regular weekly podcast, but other podcasts as well, which will focus on more specific topics within the realm of animal rights — so stay tuned;
- we are so excited to be bringing on long-time animal rights activist Anne Green as our new full-time Director of Operations;
- we are moving offices, to a brand new (and much bigger!) space in Brooklyn;
- we are publishing a new eBook early this year;
- we have so many thrilling giveaways in the queue for our flock only, so if you’re not yet a member, you might want to get on that (and fast);
- there’s tons more in store, too, so be sure to stay on top of OHH by way of Facebook and Twitter.
Again with the verklempt. How can we even begin to explain to you how much you each mean to us, and how deeply we adore you for all you do keep vegan indie media alive, and all you do to change the world for animals alongside us? Please accept our heartfelt thanks, from all of us Our Hen House, to you.
Finally, we remain so grateful to our 2014 Barnyard Benefactors for leveraging their contributions to create a whopping $25,000 matching pool for Our Hen House’s end-of-year fundraiser! These wonderful donors are dedicated to our mission to mainstream the movement to end animal exploitation. We thank them from the bottom of our hen hearts!
- Cathy Berlot
- Elisa Camahort Page
- Dr. Ethan Ciment & Michael Suchman
- Marilyn & Michael Dee
- JL Fields
- Brad Goldberg
- Alexander Gray & David Cabrera
- Dawn Ladd
- James McWilliams
- Alison & Kevin Mercer
- Lea Pickard & Douglas White
- Anonymous (4)
Here’s to an incredible 2015!
xo the hens