As you know, Chef Laura has agreed to join me as my chief chef and kitchen tutor for this podcast. What’s more, we came up with some themes for this and for the episodes to come.
It’s summer, it’s hot, and Chef Laura always has lemons! So in Episode 9, we gave the green light to green and light! Follow along with Chef Laura’s recipes below, as we juice, massage, and do the pesto. As always, great banter and plenty of questions as we prepare this great summer meal of Green Lemonade, Massaged Kale with Tahini Dressing, and Pesto Pasta Salad. Let’s get cooking!
2-3 green apples, washed and cut into slices small enough for your juicer
3-4 celery stalks, washed
2 lemons, peeled and quartered
5-7 large kale leaves (with stems), washed
About 1.5 inches fresh peeled ginger root (more or less to taste)
- Make sure your juicer is properly cleaned and assembled. (It’s good to run a glass of water through when you first turn it on, just to be sure.)
- Place glass or pitcher at the juicer’s spout.
- Slowly feed ingredients to the juicer.
- Be sure to start with some of the more water-dense produce (apples and celery) and then alternate between more and less water-dense produce, (eg., celery, apple, kale, celery, ginger, apple, lemon, celery, lemon, kale, apple, lemon….) until it’s all gone through.
- You can also run another quarter cup of water through to get out any remaining juice at the end. If your pulp is especially juicy, you can run that through again to get more bang for your buck.
Pour into fancy pants glasses (but not pants) and enjoy!
Massaged Kale with Tahini Dressing
1 bunch of kale, washed, stemmed, and torn into large bite-sized pieces
A pinch or two of sea salt
A squeeze of lemon juice
1/2 cup tahini
3 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup of water
3 Tbs lemon juice
1 Tbs coconut aminos, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos or tamari
1 Tbs pure maple syrup (or agave syrup)
- Towel off washed kale and massage it into a medium salad bowl with lemon and salt. (Rubbing/massaging the lemon and salt into the kale helps break it down so it’s less tough and bitter.) Set kale aside.
- Add all other ingredients to food processor, blender or vitamix. Blend until smooth. Add water, 1 Tbs at a time for thinner dressing, if preferred.
- Toss the kale in salad bowl with dressing. Serve in individual salad bowls, or on the side of a main meal.
Garnish options: Nutritional Yeast (nooch), raw pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
*This also could be made into a hearty meal topped with tempeh or baked tofu.
Pesto Pasta Salad
1 package whole grain fusilli pasta (or your pasta of choice)
2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves
1 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro
1/2 cup slivered, sliced, or whole soaked raw almonds (soaked for 15-30 mins)
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/3 cup olive oil
1/4 cup water
Cook pasta as directed on package.
Drain into colander, rinse with cool water, and set aside.
Combine all other ingredients in a food processor, blender, or vitamix.
Puree until smooth. (Or a little chunky, if you like it like that.)
Add an extra Tbs or so of water as needed to thin, or if it isn’t getting as smooth as you’d like. (You may need to use a wooden spoon or silicone spatula to scrape down the sides a few times.)
Pour pesto over pasta and toss to combine.
Garnish with more nooch and serve.
*I enjoy having this in the fridge in case I need to throw together a quick meal at any point throughout the week.
You can listen to the Teaching Jasmin How to Cook podcast directly on our website (beneath this paragraph!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment! Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation, or becoming a member of our flock. Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, so it’s tax-deductible! Don’t forget – we’re reader and listener supported. Thank you for helping us create quality content, and for helping us keep our media free and accessible!
The Teaching Jasmin How to Cook Vegan theme song is written and sung by the incredible Michael Harren, also Our Hen House’s Social Media Guy. This podcast would not be possible without the genius of our audio editor, Eric Milano, of Love Loft Studios.