In this week’s Flock bonus content, Jasmin gets an incredible veganized version of okra gumbo from episode 504 guest Josh LaJaunie! It was his mom’s recipe but now you can make it totally vegan. Make some tonight, and share a photo of it on our flock facebook page.
Leave us your thoughts on this clip, and anything else you’d like to see as bonus content, on the Flock Facebook Page!
On behalf of all of us here at Our Hen House, thanks!
Here’s Josh’s recipe (You can also view it here.)
• 1 cup oat flour
• 1 large Guidry’s Seasoning OR (2 cups chopped onions, 1-1/2 cups chopped bell pepper, 1 cup chopped celery) AKA – The Trinity
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic• 1 32-ounce box vegetable broth (I use Kitchen Basic brand)
• 6 cups of water (divided, 4 cups and 2 cups)
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 1 teaspoon file gumbo
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
• 3 tablespoons parsley flakes
• 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
• 1 10-ounce can original Rotel tomatoes (I used the no salt)
• 1 28-ounce family size bag of frozen sliced okra
• 1 teaspoon salt (I use Himalaya salt, optional)
• Fresh ground black pepper to taste
In large pot start roux base. Add oat flour (dry) to the pan and cook (toast) over medium-high heat stirring constantly (this can burn quickly-so be patient and stay close). When it is toasted to a light brown (a little darker than the color of peanut butter) add trinity mix (onion, bell peppers, celery) and garlic and stir to combine.Next add the box of vegetable broth and 4 cups water and stir to combine.*Chef Note: This will begin to thicken quickly.Next add your spices; cayenne pepper, file gumbo, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, parsley flakes, nutritional yeast, and Rotel tomatoes. Allow stew to simmer about 30 to 45 minutes. Stir as needed.Then add frozen okra and 2 more cups of water. Simmer for about 1 hour. Stir as needed.Season to taste with salt and pepper. And you’re ready to serve.
Wonderful with brown rice.
Podcast (bonuscontent): Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Android | Google Podcasts |