Ana Bradley joins the podcast today, and this is an episode that no one is going to want to miss! Ana is the Executive Director at Sentient Media, a non-profit journalism organization seeking to create transparency around the role of animals in our daily lives. In her conversation with Jasmin, she shares the most significant challenges she and her colleagues face as they usher issues of animal equality into mainstream media. She also fills us in on her incredibly useful digital marketing strategies and offers insight into the sometimes intimidating, but crucially important world of “Search Engine Optimization” for writers and animal activists who want to make their voices heard loud and clear online. A true media expert, she discusses how attitudes toward animal rights have changed within media and gives invaluable advice for young, emerging writers who want to champion animals to a mainstream audience.
Ana Bradley is the Executive Director of Sentient Media, and has an extensive background in content production and startup consultancy. Under Ana’s direction, Sentient Media is working to create transparency regarding non-human animal lives and the impact of animal agriculture on our planetary crisis. Before leading Sentient Media, she managed social impact within Black communities in her role as Digital Director of the open innovation organization Do it Now Now.
“If you’re new to writing or if you’re new to animal advocacy, actively have open conversations with people and try to engage in different communities that aren’t wholly vegan.” – Ana Bradley
This Week’s Highlights in Our Hen House:
- Sentient Media’s core mission, goals, and how they work with news outlets and writers
- The six stages of the transtheoretical model of behavioral change, with a particular focus on the stage people are in when they begin to question their beliefs
- How Sentient Media finds and investigates its stories, given that animal rights issues are often deeply buried
- How to work with up-and-coming young writers and engage more seasoned ones
- Causes of COVID-19 and other zoonotic infections and how we should go about tackling them
- The stories that Ana is most proud of having placed in prominent publications
- How to Have a Good Day: Harness the Power of Behavioral Science to Transform Your Working Life by Caroline Webb
- Animal Justice Academy
- Rescue Dogs: Where They Come From, Why They Act the Way They Do, and How to Love Them Well by Gene Stone and Pete Paxton
- “Why Factory Farming’s Pandemic Risk is Being Ignored” by Jessica Scott-Reid
Connect with Ana Bradley:
- Sentient Media Website
- Sentient Media on Facebook
- Sentient Media on Instagram
- Sentient Media on Twitter
Connect with Our Hen House:
This episode is brought to you in part through the generosity of A Well-Fed World. A Well-Fed World provides the means for change by empowering individuals, social justice organizations, and political decision makers to embrace the benefits of plant-based foods and farming. Learn more at awfw.org.
You can listen to our podcast directly on our website, or subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcatcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it and leave us a comment on Apple Podcasts! Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation, or becoming a member of our flock (especially if you’re a regular listener). Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, so it’s tax-deductible! Thank you for helping us create quality content, and for helping us bring you a new podcast episode each week!
The Our Hen House theme song is written and performed by Michael Harren.