Actress and animal-rights advocate Amy Jackson joins the podcast this week for an engaging conversation you definitely don’t want to miss! Known internationally for her work in award-winning Indian films, Amy discusses the very moment she realized animals are sentient and why she decided to devote her life to advocating for them. She shares the movie set experience that compelled her to work alongside People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) and the heart-wrenching trip that motivated her to work with the Elephant Family. The actress also shares the cultural differences in India, the US, and the UK, where she grew up, when comes to caring deeply about animal issues.
Amy Jackson is an actress, animal-rights advocate, and has served as a PETA ambassador since 2016. Passionate about justice and equality, Amy is a strong supporter of the Elephant Family, an organization dedicated to protecting Asia’s wildlife and enabling coexistence between living beings. Amy also works with the Sneha Sargar Society orphanages for girls and, in 2018, was honored with the United Nations’ International Day of the Girl Child award. When Amy isn’t advocating for animals, she can be seen acting in film and television.
“We are their mouthpiece, we stand up for them. When I see injustice, especially towards somebody who can’t fight for themselves, whether they’re human or animal, I have an instinctive calling to do something about it.”
– Amy Jackson
- How Amy’s trip to Zambia expanded her awareness of animal issues and how it provided the inspiration for her TEDx talk
- How people can support animal welfare charities
- The Coexistence Story, and how the multisensory exhibition of carved elephants represents coexisting in harmony with Mother Nature
- Amy’s insights on the global ivory ban
- How cruelty-free cosmetic brands provide a positive entry point for talking about the exploitation of animals
- Amy’s interest in vegan fashion and the trends helping people get animal products out of their closets
- How Amy winds down at the end of the day
Connect with Amy Jackson:
- Amy Jackson’s TEDx Talk
- Amy Jackson on Wikipedia
- Amy Jackson on social media: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram
Connect with Our Hen House:
This episode is brought to you in part through the generosity of A Well-Fed World. A Well-Fed World provides the means for change by empowering individuals, social justice organizations, and political decision makers to embrace the benefits of plant-based foods and farming. Learn more at awfw.org.
You can listen to our podcast directly on our website, or subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcatcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it and leave us a comment on Apple Podcasts! Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation, or becoming a member of our flock (especially if you’re a regular listener). Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, so it’s tax-deductible! Thank you for helping us create quality content, and for helping us bring you a new podcast episode each week!
The Our Hen House theme song is written and performed by Michael Harren.