Whenever I finish a conversation with Michael Parrish DuDell, I am left feeling a sense of electricity. I am motivated, ready to conquer my projects. He’s that kind of a guy, just shooting you up with motivation and ideas. He’s also a successful, smart, sassy blogger. As in, for his career. Michael is helping animals and raising awareness about their plight (along with spreading the occasional relevant celebrity gossip) through, among other outlets, Ecorazzi, for which he is the Senior Editor. Today, we’re lucky enough to have him share his wisdom with us about how to be a successful blogger.
The Bloggers Bible
by Michael Parrish DuDell
New media is taking over the world and has the power – if used correctly – to serve as a powerful activist tool. While editing videos, producing podcasts, and navigating the latest social network might feel a bit overwhelming, one simple way to spread your message is through the power of blogging. As a career blogger, I’ve written over 3,000 original articles in a little under 3 years. Below, you’ll find what I consider to be the five most important rules for effective blogging:
- Develop a Point of View – Sure, there are those who appreciate AP-style content, but most of us who read blogs do so for the strong point of view. Instead of focusing on fair and balanced reporting, embrace your (fill in the blank) personality and be bold!
- Engage your Readers – The comment section of your blog is where dreams are made. When writing a post, encourage others to chime in and participate in the story. Comments allow you to create a group dialogue and engage with your readers in a real way.
- Share the Lovin’ – Sure, a blog is all about your point of view, but that doesn’t mean you can’t share the lovin’. Hyperlinking to your favorite sites, creating a blogroll, and finding innovative ways to spotlight your favorite sites are a great way to win friends and contribute to the community at large.
- Produce the Goods– In the digital world, content is king! When starting a new blog, keep in mind that the best way to develop a serious following is by regularly providing content. For the first 3 months, amateur bloggers should aim to produce 5 pieces of original content per week. Once you get used to the tempo, you’ll discover how quick and easy it is to create quality work.
- Social Network Your Face Off – Is managing both a Facebook and Twitter page too much for you? Fine! Then pick one of them, and commit like hell. The most effective way to get new readers is through connecting with like-minded individuals on social networks. Don’t be afraid to reach out and self-promote. A little networking goes a long way.
Michael Parrish DuDell is a writer, speaker and entrepreneur. He is the senior editor of Ecorazzi.com and the co-founder and editor-in-chief of VEGdaily.com. He is also a frequent contributor to The Huffington Post, Crazy Sexy Life, and VegNews magazine. Michael is the president of New York’s Sustainable Leadership Council and consults with companies on issues relating to social action. He is currently working with American Express on the ZYNC card — a new card geared towards Gen Y. Michael is twenty-seven years old and lives in New York City.