She’s an activist, artist, librarian, professor, and more. The multi-hyphenate Stacy Russo joins us on the podcast for a deep dive into Love Activism. Created by Stacy in 2013, Love Activism is a daily, holistic, and radical activism rooted in kindness. In our conversation, Stacy outlines the eight elements of this activist approach and describes how they can empower us every day. She explains why she firmly believes creativity is an element of Love Activism and how people can practice creativity by making their own or supporting others’ art. For those not drawn to traditional art forms, Stacy also shares how to find your own creative outlet. Empathy, another element of Love Activism, is also up for discussion. Stacy details how empathy can sometimes act as a barrier and prevent people from seeing, understanding, and fighting for the rights animals should have in this world. Plus, we discuss the author’s own journey toward animal rights activism, beginning with her introduction to the punk scene of the 1980s.
Stacy Russo, librarian and Associate Professor at Santa Ana College, is committed to creating books and art for a more peaceful world. She is the author of several nonfiction books, the editor of two essay collections, a published poet, a collage artist, a DIY oral historian, and the author/illustrator of children’s picture books. Stacy’s books have been featured on National Public Radio, Pacifica Radio, the Canadian Broadcasting System, Sirius XM Radio, KCET Artbound, LA Weekly, and various other media channels. She is currently pursuing her Ph.D. in transformative studies at the California Institute of Integral Studies. Stacy is a longtime vegan.
“I definitely feel that service is a very powerful form of love — there are so many different ways that we can serve each other and serve animals.” – Stacy Russo
Highlights for Episode 640:
- Stacy describes why service is an element of Love Activism and provides examples of how acts of service can be construed as long term activism, including her role in caring for her elderly dog Walter
- How the principles of Love Activism can also be understood as self-care and empowerment for individuals
- Techniques that activists can use to truly take care of themselves while still keeping their focus on their activism
- How Stacy’s relationship with feminism and her immersion in the punk rock scene of the 1980s led to her discovery of the animal equality movement
- Why Stacy’s unashamed veganism and animal equality message were almost a barrier to getting her books published
- Everyday magic and how it elevates our common daily experiences and rituals to a profound or spiritual level and why we often find everyday magic in our interactions with the animals we know
- The A Better World Starts Here book project and how it aims to further the work of vegan activists committed to eradicating injustice and oppression
- Why Stacy was inspired to write Stella Peabody’s Wild Librarian Bakery and Bookstore
- What Stacy feels it means to be a vegan artist in terms of content, materials, and message
- Better Nate Than Ever trailer
- About to Go Awf song
- Antibiotic-free claims on animal products can’t be trusted, new study finds
- Meow Meow Tweet is offering 20% off for our listeners!
Connect with Stacy Russo:
Connect with Our Hen House:
Thank you for listening to the Our Hen House podcast! If you enjoy our podcasts, believe in our mission to effectively mainstream the movement to end the exploitation of animals, find community and solace in our shows and resources, and would like to show your support for vegan indie media, please make a donation today.
You can listen to our podcast directly on our website, or subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcatcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it and leave us a comment on Apple Podcasts!
The Our Hen House theme song is written and performed by Michael Harren.
This episode is brought to you in part by Meow Meow Tweet. Meow Meow Tweet creates vegan personal care for every body. Always ethical, low-waste, handmade & cruelty-free. They are also not only a Certified B Corp, but also certified plastic negative, climate neutral and leaping bunny certified. Right now Meow Meow Tweet is offering a discount for our listeners only! You can save 20% by visiting their website and using the code HENHOUSE at check out.
This episode is brought to you in part through the generosity of A Well-Fed World. A Well-Fed World provides the means for change by empowering individuals, social justice organizations, and political decision makers to embrace the benefits of plant-based foods and farming. Learn more at awfw.org.