Jane Velez-Mitchell is a media powerhouse known for speaking up for animals, and today, we welcome her back to the podcast for a conversation about UnchainedTV, the free streaming platform committed to amplifying vegan, animal rights content. In our conversation, Jane explains how people can access this critical content worldwide, why she decided to make it available free of charge, and the metaphor behind the UnchainedTV name. She also shares the details of how the new network came to develop the world’s first reality show starring a family of pigs, Pig Little Lies, and why she believes the show has become wildly popular. We also discuss her focus on climate change and the importance of sharing animal rights content beyond our vegan bubbles and making sure it reaches as many people as possible.
*We are thrilled to expand the accessibility of our podcast by offering written transcripts of the interviews! Click here to read Jasmin’s interview with Jane Velez-Mitchell.*
Jane Velez-Mitchell is a nationally known TV journalist, best-selling author, and founder and Managing Editor of UnchainedTV. She is the winner of four Genesis awards and commendations from the Humane Society of the United States and is committed to covering crimes against animals and the environment. Unchained TV is the culmination of a lifelong dream. Previously, Jane worked as a television journalist anchoring local news at KCAL-TV in Los Angeles and WCBS-TV in New York. Jane also hosted her show on CNN Headline News (HLN) for six years.
“We’re trying to normalize veganism.” – Jane Velez-Mitchell
Highlights for Episode 652:
- How saving Dante and Beatrice from a high-kill shelter came to be featured on UnchainedTV’s programming, plus how a twist in the tale led to even more drama than the team anticipated
- The importance of having animal media that makes people laugh
- The cast of Pig Little Lies and the popularity of the show
- The horror of unscrupulous pig breeders selling animals as ´micro´ or ´teacup´ pigs and what happens when their buyers realize that is far from the truth
- How listeners can get involved in helping these pigs or other animals in similar situations
- The types of programming UnchainedTV offers, including how they report on news
- Whether Jane has hope, despite all she has seen in the course of her career
- The pros and cons of cell-based meats and why Jane believes it is the way of the future
Connect with Jane Velez-Mitchell:
- Unchained TV on Facebook
- UnchainedTV on Instagram
- UnchainedTV on Twitter
- Unchained TV Streaming Network
- Watch Pig Little Lies
Connect with Our Hen House:
Thank you for listening to the Our Hen House podcast! If you enjoy our podcasts, believe in our mission to effectively mainstream the movement to end the exploitation of animals, find community and solace in our shows and resources, and would like to show your support for vegan indie media, please make a donation today.
You can listen to our podcast directly on our website, or subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcatcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it and leave us a comment on Apple Podcasts!
The Our Hen House theme song is written and performed by Michael Harren.
This episode is brought to you in part by Miyoko’s Creamery. From their humble beginnings with 4 employees in Miyoko’s home kitchen, to a 30,000 sq ft. state-of-the-art facility in Sonoma, Miyoko’s Creamery is leading the way in transforming the future of the creamery. Miyoko’s Creamery is changing perceptions of vegan food, to inspire people from all walks of life to enjoy a phenomenally vegan lifestyle and right now our listeners can get 15% off by visiting their website and checking out with code HENHOUSE15.
This episode is brought to you in part through the generosity of A Well-Fed World. A Well-Fed World provides the means for change by empowering individuals, social justice organizations, and political decision makers to embrace the benefits of plant-based foods and farming. Learn more at awfw.org.