Tamara Human is the definition of a fearless, compassionate leader and activist, and this week she joins the podcast from Kyiv, Ukraine. Tamara is the force behind Every Animal, a Ukraine-based NGO founded in 2019 committed to mobilizing the vegan movement among Ukrainians. In our conversation, the founder shares how Every Animal is supporting vegan soldiers on the frontlines of the ongoing war. Tamara also tells us about Every Animal’s food giveaways through the NGO’s Vegan Kitchen Ukraine program, and how they go about feeding soldiers, volunteers, and those displaced by the war. Plus, she outlines the difficulties the country’s animal shelters are currently facing and how Every Animal is supporting their efforts to get animals to safety.
*We are thrilled to expand the accessibility of our podcast by offering written transcripts of the interviews! Click here to read Mariann’s interview with Tamara Human.*
Tamara Human is the founder of the Ukrainian organization Every Animal, a vegan NGO committed to promoting veganism and the animal rights movement. Every Animal was founded in 2019 and, in addition to responding to the current emergency, is known for its vegan educational outreach, street actions, and for encouraging vegans to become involved in activism and in rescuing animals in need.
“We’re not only helping people who need it, we’re also spreading the vegan message.” – Tamara Human
Highlights for Episode 660:
- How Every Animal helps Ukrainian soldiers obtain vegan food
- Every Animal’s food giveaways and how they make vegan dishes to share with soldiers and civilians displaced by war
- Why the NGO has to be flexible with the recipes they offer due to food shortages
- Reactions to veganism during these desperate times and why Tamara feels that Ukrainians are more receptive than ever to understanding animals’ needs
- How Every Animal gets the word out about their Vegan Express online course
- How Tamara likes to approach messaging around animal cruelty and animal agriculture
- Why Tamara believes there is a difference between being vegan and following a plant-based diet
- How the Every Animal street action program worked to normalize veganism in Ukraine before the war
- Why Every Animal created the first children’s book about animal rights in Ukrainian
- How listeners can support Tamara’s work
- Sherry Colb – remembrance by Michael Dorf
- Sherry Colb – Verdict
- Mind If I Order The Cheeseburger
- Beating Hearts: Abortion and Animal Rights
- Miyoko’s Creamery is offering our listeners 15% off!
- Ethos Farm Project Farm Days Event
Connect with Tamara Human:
Connect with Our Hen House:
Thank you for listening to the Our Hen House podcast! If you enjoy our podcasts, believe in our mission to effectively mainstream the movement to end the exploitation of animals, find community and solace in our shows and resources, and would like to show your support for vegan indie media, please make a donation today.
You can listen to our podcast directly on our website, or subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcatcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it and leave us a comment on Apple Podcasts!
The Our Hen House theme song is written and performed by Michael Harren.
This episode is brought to you in part by Miyoko’s Creamery. From their humble beginnings with 4 employees in Miyoko’s home kitchen, to a 30,000 sq ft. state-of-the-art facility in Sonoma, Miyoko’s Creamery is leading the way in transforming the future of the creamery. Miyoko’s Creamery is changing perceptions of vegan food, to inspire people from all walks of life to enjoy a phenomenally vegan lifestyle and right now our listeners can get 15% off by visiting their website and checking out with code HENHOUSE15.
This episode is brought to you in part through the generosity of A Well-Fed World. A Well-Fed World provides the means for change by empowering individuals, social justice organizations, and political decision makers to embrace the benefits of plant-based foods and farming. Learn more at awfw.org.