Did you know dietary supplements often contain hidden animal-based ingredients, and there are no requirements for this to be disclosed on the label? This week, Terraseed founder Maria Cebrian joins the podcast to discuss vitamins for vegans and the challenges of sourcing high-quality plant-based ingredients and truly eco-friendly packaging. She also describes how Terraseed has partnered with Animal Save Movement for the Transparent Label Campaign. Maria, an entrepreneur with 13 years of experience, tells us how becoming vegan inspired her to create a company that puts animal equality at its center and why she believes it is important to build a person-first business that treats team members as human beings, not resources.
*We are thrilled to expand the accessibility of our podcast by offering written transcripts of the interviews! Click here to read Jasmin’s interview with Maria Cebrian*
Maria Cebrian, the co-founder and CEO of Terraseed, is a third-time entrepreneur and a Forbes 1000 honoree. She has 14 years of experience in the digital and wellness industries, and her second company was acquired by Gaia. Her current company, Terraseed, was the first vegan company to be selected by the accelerator Techstars and has already been recognized by the Natural Products Industry with a NEXTY award.
“I wanted to build a supplement that was fully aligned with the values and the lifestyle of a vegan person.”
– Maria Cebrian
Highlights for Episode 689:
- How Maria’s interest in food and nutrition led her to gradually remove meat and fish from her diet and eventually adopt a healthy, whole-foods vegan diet
- Why removing animal products from her diet improved not only Maria’s digestion but also enhanced her athletic performance, mood, sleep, and sense of connection with the earth and its animals
- Why fish are middlemen when it comes to sources of Omega 3, and how we can farm a plant-based source for use in supplements
- How Maria’s interest in creating vegan vitamins stems from her desire to address the lack of high-quality, vegan-friendly supplements on the market
- Maria’s perspective on building a company that values human beings not just as resources
- Why Maria feels so strongly about embracing attributes like kindness and caring in business
- 50 Percent of Supplements Contain Hidden Animal Byproducts. New Campaign Pushes for Transparency.
- Connections: Discussing California’s so-called “bacon law” and what it would mean for farmers and consumers, if enacted
- Former TV star, now a chicken ‘rescuer,’ found not guilty of Foster Farms theft
Connect with Maria Cebrian:
Connect with Our Hen House:
Thank you for listening to the Our Hen House podcast! If you enjoy our podcasts, believe in our mission to effectively mainstream the movement to end the exploitation of animals, find community and solace in our shows and resources, and would like to show your support for vegan indie media, please make a donation today.
You can listen to our podcast directly on our website, or subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcatcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it and leave us a comment on Apple Podcasts!
Don’t forget to check out Our Hen House’s other podcasts: The Animal Law Podcast, The Teaching Jasmin How to Cook Vegan Podcast, and the Antiracism in Animal Advocacy Audio Series.
Join the Our Hen House Community online!
The Our Hen House theme song is written and performed by Michael Harren.
This episode is brought to you in part through the generosity of A Well-Fed World. A Well-Fed World provides the means for change by empowering individuals, social justice organizations, and political decision makers to embrace the benefits of plant-based foods and farming. Learn more at awfw.org.