Comedian Myq Kaplan is back on the podcast this week to discuss the intersection of animal rights, activism, and the creative arts. We discuss Myq’s latest comedy album, A.K.A., as well as the recently widely released Live In Between Albums, and he gives us a behind-the-scenes look into his creative process. The vegan comedian also dishes on his upcoming appearance at Edinburgh Festival Fringe, his “ImPerfect” show (which he co-created with his girlfriend, Rini), and what he has in store following his summer in Scotland.
*We are thrilled to expand the accessibility of our podcast by offering written transcripts of the interviews! Click here to read Jasmin’s interview with Myq Kaplan*
Myq Kaplan has appeared on the Tonight Show, Conan, Letterman, James Corden, Seth Meyers, Comedy Central, Last Comic Standing, and America’s Got Talent. He has a one-hour standup special on Amazon, “Small, Dork, and Handsome,” and two podcasts, The Faucet and Broccoli and Ice Cream. His debut album, “Vegan Mind Meld,” was one of iTunes’ top 10 comedy albums of the year, and his newest album, “A.K.A.,” debuted at #1 and was called “invigoratingly funny” by the NY Times!
“I want to talk about things that are important to me. I want to talk about things I care about.” – Myq Kaplan
Highlights for Episode 702:
- Why Myq recorded Live Between Albums and how it might represent a little downtime for vegan activists
- How Myq collects and collates his reflections on life and turns them into content that resonates with other people
- The two key phases of Myq’s creative process: the blooming phase and the pruning phase
- Why Myq isn’t worried that he’ll be replaced by artificial intelligence
- Trends in comedy right now and how shows have evolved to appeal to all sorts of audiences
- Myq’s idea for a new comedy hour based on astrology and the instinct to categorize different types of people
- Why the things that make us laugh are so personal
- Why Myq is so excited to take his show, ImPerfect, to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in 2023 — including the food, the castles, and the accent
Connect with Myq Kaplan:
- Myq’s new album – Live in Between Albums
- Myq Kaplan’s Website
- Myq’s newsletter Arty Har-Hars
- Myq’s Podcasts: Broccoli and Ice Cream and The Faucet with Myq Kaplan
- Myq Kaplan on Facebook
- Myq Kaplan on Instagram
- Myq Kaplan on Twitter
Connect with Our Hen House:
Thank you for listening to the Our Hen House podcast! If you enjoy our podcasts, believe in our mission to effectively mainstream the movement to end the exploitation of animals, find community and solace in our shows and resources, and would like to show your support for vegan indie media, please make a donation today.
You can listen to our podcast directly on our website or subscribe on Apple Podcasts or your favorite podcatcher! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it and leave us a comment on Apple Podcasts!
Join the Our Hen House Community online!
The Our Hen House theme song is written and performed by Michael Harren.
This episode is brought to you in part through the generosity of A Well-Fed World. A Well-Fed World provides the means for change by empowering individuals, social justice organizations, and political decision makers to embrace the benefits of plant-based foods and farming. Learn more at awfw.org.