Welcome to the 131st episode of Our Hen House, featuring Isa Chandra Moskowitz, Katie Olson, and Brian Endl.
In today’s episode, we are still on the road as part of our Great American Road Trip from NYC to Portland. We’ll pick up where we left off last week, telling you all about our travels on the 2-lane Rt. 20, throughout the Indiana Dutch Country, Indiana Dunes, Chicago, rural Illinois, Kansas City, Iowa, Omaha, O’Neill, NE, Wyoming, and a whole lot more. We’ll share with you our surprisingly delicious vegan tales from the road, and our unsurprisingly brutal glimpses into animal agribusiness.
Throughout our trip, we will bring you interviews with Brian Endl, whose entirely vegan brewery in Rockford, IL —Pig Minds Brewing — was a very welcome surprise; Katie Olson in Kansas City, the mastermind behind the entirely vegan and gluten-free Brody’s Bakery; and a very special chat with vegan rockstar Isa Chandra Moskowitz, who relocated to Omaha a couple of years ago. During our visit to Omaha, Isa fed us directly from her garden, and shared the glorious news of her brand new upcoming vegan cookbook deal – her 8th publication! — which will surely take the world by storm, one delicious concoction at a time.
For our review, we’ll talk all about the German-made documentary, Our Daily Bread, which goes behind the scenes of industrial food production, including, of course, into the hideous world of animal agriculture. This hour and a half film, with absolutely no narration except the sounds of conveyor belts and machines, is one that everyone who cares about animals should get their hands on. Don’t miss our account of Our Daily Bread.
All that, vegan banter, and of course, current events from the world of animal rights.
This week’s news items include:
- “Endangered Species Act Protection Sought for Rarest U.S. Frogs, Turtles, and Salamanders” from Center for Biological Diversity
- “Court Rules Circuses Can Sue Animal Rights Groups for Racketeering” from The Blog of Legal Times
- “A surge of fast-food giants, pork producers and grocers move to phase out cruel gestation crates for pigs” from HSUS
- “Arian Foster, Texans RB, generates stir by going vegan” from The NFL
- “Got Milk? You Don’t Need It” from The New York Times
- “Heartbreak as deathrow dog Lennox destroyed by Belfast council” from Belfast Telegraph
- “Humane Society Accuses American Kennel Club of Protecting Puppy Mills” from ABC News
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” -Henry Miller
You can listen to our podcast directly on our blog (below!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes. Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment! Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation. If you’re a weekly listener, you might consider making a recurring monthly donation. Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, so it’s tax-deductible! Don’t forget — we’re reader and listener supported. Plus, we offer some fantastic thank you gifts for your donations. Thank you for helping us to create quality content, and for helping us bring you a new, hour-long podcast each week!