Hi everyone. Jasmin Singer here, once again!
I initiated a new chef and hazed a new kitchen on Episode 4 of the Teaching Jasmin How to Cook Vegan Podcast ! I go nuts with Chef Laura Delhauer (in the kitchen of Vegucated writer, director, and editor Marisa Miller Wolfson) and make some love-filled delights for February. We’ll start with dessert (or breakfast) Peanut Butter Cups, turn up the heat on Spicy Peanut Stew, and cool down with Sexy Strawberry Smoothies! Let’s get cooking!
This episode is brought to you by Vegucated – the entertaining documentary that showcases the rapid and at times comedic evolution of three people who discover they can change the world one bite at a time.
What follows are the recipes we made on Episode 4 of the Teaching Jasmin How to Cook Vegan Podcast!
Peanut Butter Cups
by Chef Laura Delhauer
You’ll make 12. How many servings is up to you!
1/2 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance Butter
3/4 cup natural crunchy peanut butter (preferably unsweetened)
6 graham crackers, crumbed (or 12 squares)
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I use vanilla almond milk or nutmilk blend from Notmilk)
1 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use Sunspire Bittersweet 65% Cacao)
Optional Garnish- raw hemp seeds
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan, set aside
- Crumb the graham crackers (easiest with a mortar and pestle)
- Place crumbs in a small bowl with coconut sugar, set aside
- In a medium pot, melt earth balance and peanut butter and stir together
- Once melted, add in dry ingredients, mix them together over low heat
- Once mixed, remove from heat
- Spoon the mix into cupcake liners in pan, distribute evenly
- In a small saucepan, warm non-dairy milk
- Add chocolate chips and stir gently until chocolate is smooth (lower heat if it begins to stick to the pan – you can also add a little more milk – but only a tiny bit at a time)
- Remove from heat and gently spoon and smooth the chocolate over each peanut butter cup
- *Option to garnish with hemp seeds while chocolate is still wet
- Place in refrigerator to harden (Takes about two hours to fully harden)
Spicy Peanut Stew
by Chef Laura Delhauer
1 Tbs Vegetable Oil
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 inch fresh ginger root, grated
1 yellow onion (medium) chopped
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped into small chunks
1 Tbs crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
1 (6oz) can of tomato paste
1/2 cup natural chunky (unsweetened) peanut butter
5 cups of vegetable broth
2-3 handfuls of bok choy leaves
cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot, saute garlic and ginger in oil until fragrant
- Add onions, cook until fragrant and starting to caramelize/lightly brown
- Add sweet potato chunks (and a tad more oil if they begin to stick at all)
- Saute sweet potatoes and onions for a few mins (don’t let onions burn)
- Add tomato paste and peanut butter and stir as best you can to get everything evenly mixed (don’t worry – the broth will help)
- Add vegetable broth and stir to dissolve the thick tomato/peanut paste
- Bring to a boil
- Add bok choy leaves
- Cover and reduce heat
- Simmer for 15 mins (or until sweet potatoes are very soft)
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a large pinch of chopped fresh cilantro
Sexy Strawberry Smoothie
by Chef Laura Delhauer
2.5 cups coconut milk or vanilla nut milk (almond, etc)
1 frozen banana
1.5 cups frozen strawberries
Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Blend all ingredients until smooth
- Pour into pretty glasses, garnish, and sip
Garnish Options- Fresh strawberry slices, hemp seeds, cacao powder
(Or throw it in a bowl, add some granola and top with all of the above- voila- smoothie bowl!)
You can listen to the Teaching Jasmin How to Cook podcast directly on our website (beneath this paragraph!) or you can listen and subscribe on iTunes! Also, if you like what you hear, please rate it on iTunes, and don’t forget to leave us a friendly comment! Of course, we would be thrilled if you would also consider making a donation, or becoming a member of our flock. Any amount is hugely appreciated, and Our Hen House is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, so it’s tax-deductible! Don’t forget – we’re reader and listener supported. Thank you for helping us create quality content, and for helping us keep our media free and accessible!
The Teaching Jasmin How to Cook Vegan theme song is written and sung by the incredible Michael Harren, also Our Hen House’s bearded Social Media Guy (far left). This podcast would not be possible without the genius of our bearded audio editor, Eric Milano, of Love Loft Studios (far right).
Don’t forget to also listen to the signature Our Hen House podcast, as well as OHH’s Animal Law Podcast.
Let’s get cooking!
More fun photos from the recording session: