Happy Valentine’s Day! I decided to jump on the V-Day bandwagon and talk a little bit about a few things that I love (sappy, I know). #PRIVATE#
And since you’re at the top of that list, darling flock, I am also going to give one of you a surprise (read on for deets).
So much has changed for us recently. For starters, we moved to Brooklyn 2 weeks ago (Mariann had lived in our building in Soho since the 70s — this was a big change). We are living in the midst of a bunch of stuff. WHY DO WE ACCUMULATE SO MUCH CRAP? But the apartment is lovely, and we’re slowly but surely settling (thanks in large part to OHH’s Craig and Danielle, who have been over several times a week to help us unpack — and, btw, Danielle is a natural with a hammer).
I won’t lie: I. Am. So. Stressed. Out. Even though I’m over-the-moon-happy about our move, and about three major upcoming OHH projects (which I’m still mostly being quiet about, but SOON, children, soon…), I am just not great at stopping. And, for that matter, smelling the roses. (Except for our dog, Rose, who — now that I think of it — needs a bath.)
And so today’s flock letter is just as much about me as it is about you. In an effort to smell the roses — and to get in on some of this Valentimes Day brouhaha — here are some things that I’m currently lovin’ on…
- I love that lauren Ornelas is telling us all about being an ethical Valentine. ‘Tis the season for chocolate. And I love me some chocolate! Let’s make sure we’re sourcing it in a way that comports with our values, y’all.
- I love our new backyard. You should see our Rose running around in it. We literally rented this (otherwise very small) apartment because we couldn’t wait to see Rose in her very own yard. And it was well worth it. Also, not to get too deep here, but it’s an important reminder to me of why we all do this work — because animals should have their goddamn freedom.
- A vegan ice-skater won a silver medal in the Olympics!
- TCBY has a new vegan flavor.
- I’m still reeling from Mayim Bialik on the Our Hen House podcast last week. BLOSSOM!
- I love the homemade strawberry almond milk I made today. And it’s pink, which seems appropriate.
- We have, as I mentioned, three upcoming projects for OHH that are pretty groovy, I must say. One is an eBook publishing arm, Hen Press — and we have the very first book all ready and about to be officially announced. Love it!
- Last night, Mariann and I saw K.D. Lang on Broadway in After Midnight. It’s not only so incredible to see a really great performance, but K.D. Lang, a vegetarian, has long been outspoken about animal rights — making her even that much sexier.
In honor of Valentine’s Day, I want to give one of you some (ethically-sourced, slavery-free) vegan chocolate! If you want to enter to win (and, sorry folks, but for this one you’ve got to be in the U.S. to win), leave a comment below telling me about a few things you love. You have one week to enter, so you have until Friday, February 21, at Midnight EST. We’ll randomly select a winner on February 22.
Looking forward to your lovin’!
P.S. In case you want some inspiration for what to love, here is Rose in her Brooklyn backyard: