Happy Valentine’s Day! Do you find V-Day a mix of: completely dorky, a little pointless, and (embarrassingly) a tad romantic anyway? I do. Before I get into this week’s (amazing!) giveaway, in the spirit of February 14, I wanted to tell you a few things that I’m particularly in love with today:#PRIVATE#
- Ever since Mariann discovered, while walking the dog, that Rockin’ Raw opened just 2 1/2 blocks from our apartment, little hearts have been magically floating around my head. We’re going there tonight for dinner, after Mariann finishes teaching Farmed Animal Law at NYU (a class she co-teaches with David Wolfson).
- My brother and sister-in-law sent us a late Chanukah gift. There’s nothing better than celebrating the holidays in February, especially when that present is a massive package of fresh citrus from Harry and David. Our kitchen looks like Florida.
- Bette Midler is coming to Broadway. Need I say more?
- Lately, I cannot stop watching Battlestar Gallactica. OHH’s Danielle Legg sent me this clip from Portlandia that basically says it all.
- Speaking of Portland, Mariann and I are speaking at the upcoming Vida Vegan Con in May! I spoke at the last one 2 years ago, and without question this is the best vegan/AR conference out there. Get your tickets!
- The forthcoming anthology in which I have a chapter, Defiant Daughters: 21 Women on Art, Activism, Animals, and the Sexual Politics of Meat, is coming out next month, and I’m starting to get butterflies! I will be taking part in 2 book-readings — one at Bluestockings in NYC on March 22, and the other will be in New Paltz, NY in April (details coming soon). I recently published an except from my chapter, if you’re interested. I also recently finalized a chapter I wrote on veganism and running for another forthcoming anthology for Lantern Books.
- I love my dog, Rose. A lot.
- Nothing beats morning smoothies. Mariann and I always look forward to them. I particularly like the smoothie recipes that Carrie On Vegan publishes regularly.
- The day after we got hitched — which was about a week and a half ago — Mariann and I got commemorative foot tattoos (foottoos?) that say “change the world for animals.” Egad!
- I love the Genie Bra. There, I said it. No uni-boob in this house!
- I’m more than mildly in love with Vaute Couture’s Leanne Mai-ly Hilgart of late. Not only did her totally vegan fashion show make headlines on CNN.com (and, eh hem, they even quoted yours truly!), but they even made an accompanying video to the article! On CNN! Yes, that CNN!
- Mariann and I recently moved the bed into the living room, just for a change of scenery. I love it. It’s the little things.
- OHH’s board member and columnist, JL Fields — WHOM WE LOVE! — is currently raising $1,095 for Our Hen House, in honor of her 3 year Veganversary. That’s $1 for every day she’s been vegan. If you love it too (and what’s not to love?), why not donate? Keep vegan indie media alive!
- I love the Valentine’s Day themed background that our graphic designer, Laurie Johnston — of Two Trick Pony — created. Did you notice the cute little hearts and hens on the background of our website? They’re only up there temporarily, so take a look. Laurie is a genius, and she is doing a giveaway for you, our darling flock! So let’s get right to that…
Laurie, and the team at Two Trick Pony, are offering 4 lucky flock members some pretty sweet vegan themed cards and postcards that will make your friends swoon. Here are the goodies being given away:
- A set of 3 Greeting Cards, 100% recycled and screenprinted by hand. Specifically, this collection includes the Veganversary, Hey Vegan, and Seitan Worship cards.
- A set of the Animal Friends postcards. There’s 4 postcards in here, and they make my heart sing.
- A set of the Fruit & Veggie postcards. There’s 4 in this appetizing set too, and though the postcards themselves probably contain a ton of fiber, try not to eat them.
- A set of the Sweet Postcards. Caution: If the fruit and veggie ones didn’t make you hungry, these will certainly do the deed. There’s 4 of these too, of course, and they each have pictures of some of our favorite desserts (but, because they are made of chipboard and not sugar, they are lower in calories).
To enter to win this unusual and, yes I’ll say it, FANTASTIC giveaway, simply do the following:
- Follow @ourhenhouse and @LauriePony on Twitter;
- Tweet (or share on Facebook!) that you are a supporter of OHH, and be sure to say why!
- Email contest [at] ourhenhouse [dot] org — which goes to Danielle’s inbox (tell her hi!) — include your mailing address, and mention specifically that you are entering to win the Two Trick Pony giveaway.
- Here’s the small print: You have just one week to do this. That means this contest ends at midnight EST on Thursday, Feb. 21. On or around Feb. 22, we will randomly select 4 winners, notify you that you’ve won (yay you!), and send you your goodies. You can only enter one time. Good luck! I hope you win (no, not you… YOU!). Oh, and yeah, you have to be a flock member to be eligible to win.
I must say, I’m pretty stoked about this giveaway. I think Laurie is insanely talented. She is the mastermind behind our OHH postcards, which I adore, and she’s truly the tops. I’m so lucky and honored that she is so supportive of OHH. We honestly have the best flock ever. Thank you for being a part of it.
Have I told you lately that I love you? Happy Valentine’s Day!