One of the best things about what we do here at Our Hen House has been working with our interns and volunteers. We don’t know how we could’ve done it without them, and now we’re seeking a new intern to join our team.
About Our Hen House
Our Hen House produces resources that you can use in order to find your own way to change the world for animals. Using video, audio, interviews, reviews, and the written word, it provides daily updates on what you need to create change. Changemakers come in all shapes and sizes –- artists, grassroots activists, academics, lawyers, students, business moguls, media darlings, etc. No matter what your niche is, Our Hen House aims to give you what you need to be part of a new world for animals.
Among our multimedia tools, we have a weekly podcast (available both on our website as well as through iTunes), daily blog, and video page. We also host an Etsy page, manage a vibrant social networking community (including Facebook and Twitter), provide support to several animal rights organizations and projects, host events throughout NYC and beyond, and travel around the country giving talks at conferences and community centers on veganism and activism.
Our Hen House was co-founded in January 2010 by Jasmin Singer and Mariann Sullivan, as “a place to find our way to change the world for animals.” It is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and is based out of New York City (lower Manhattan). Since its founding, Our Hen House has received noteworthy praise in the media.
About the Internship
Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage the marketing of the Our Hen House Etsy page, including photographing new items, writing engaging descriptions of the products, writing occasional blog entries and newsletter articles regarding new Etsy products, mailing out Etsy items in a timely manner, communicating with our small team of Etsy artists;
- Assist with managing the Our Hen House social networking circles, including Facebook and Twitter;
- Write e-newsletter items roughly once a month, and blog entries roughly twice a month. This includes writing about everything from Our Hen House programs to book and product reviews;
- Possibility of assisting with drafting press releases and researching media targets;
- Manage cross-promotion of stories covered by Our Hen House. For example, compile lists of travel blogs and reach out to them with Our Hen House vegan travel videos, etc.;
- Research and compile compelling blog ideas;
- Assist with organizing Our Hen House events, including securing auction items and food donations, managing RSVP lists, and assisting at the event (if local);
- Table for Our Hen House at conferences and other events (if local);
- Research potential grants and assist in writing grant proposals;
- Provide general support necessary to the success of Our Hen House’s outreach efforts
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Experience blogging a plus;
- Experience working with Wordpress a plus;
- Experience working with Constant Contact or another e-newsletter service a plus;
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail;
- Tech-savvy skills;
- Experience with fundraising and grant-writing a plus;
- Ability to effectively and respectfully work with volunteers and donors;
- Ability to multi-task and work independently;
- Strong knowledge of animal protection issues;
- Commitment to a vegan lifestyle;
- Eagerness to work within a small, start-up nonprofit;
- Strong comfort level with frequent email communication;
- Public speaking experience a plus;
- Familiarity with Our Hen House’s work and mission;
- Strong sense of humor, and ability to roll with the punches, absolutely required
- Must commit to between 6-15 hours per week (TBD);
- Minimum three-month commitment;
- If in NYC, will work partly from home and partly from Our Hen House’s lower Manhattan home office. If not in NYC, will work remotely, with frequent phone, Skype, and IM meetings required
- Gain valuable experience working with like-minded and committed animal activists;
- Opportunity for tremendous exposure of written materials;
- Learn about the planning and implementation of a multimedia hub of activism;
- Learn about the planning and implementation of fund- and friend-raisers to benefit animals;
- Opportunity to network with animal rights organizations, activists, and social justice pioneers, beneficial for future job opportunities within the animal rights movement
Please note that financial compensation is not offered for this position.
Email Executive Director Jasmin Singer at jasmin [at] ourhenhouse.org. Please indicate in the subject line that you are applying for the Internship position. Include in your application:
- A personalized cover letter explaining why you want to be considered for this internship. Also please indicate where you live and how many hours you have available per week for this internship;
- A copy of your resume or CV;
- A list of 3 references, preferably including at least one from the animal rights community;
- 3-5 writing samples (either as attachments or links);
- Any other relevant materials you think would be important for us to consider;
- Please send in your application by September 21, 2012. Applicants will not hear back until after that date.
Thank you for your interest in the Our Hen House internship! We have a lot of fun here and enjoy thinking creatively and critically. We look forward to hearing from you!