Many of you have been emailing me about job openings in animal rights, making me hopeful that our movement is expanding to the point where we can actually pay people (imagine that!). In the past, we have posted some fabulous AR/vegan-related job opportunities, and here we go again! Be sure to also follow @veganjobs on Twitter, since they provide a wealth of information (in 140 characters or less!) for the ethical job-seeker. Also, just a couple months ago, I offered you 14 Tips on Getting a Job in Animal Rights.
Hope your business suits are back from the cleaners, because here are some opportunities not to be missed:
- The ASPCA has many job openings, mostly from the NYC/NJ locations (of note is the Assistant Manager of Shelter Staff and the Cruelty Intervention Advocacy Case Worker). For those of you seeking a remote position, you might consider the Logistics Manager.
- A farm animal sanctuary in Eastern Oregon is seeking a live-in employee to help at the shelter. They provide the room, the vegan grub, the laundry facilities, and $450 a month.
- Animal Place, one of my favorite sanctuaries, is looking for a full-time Social Media and Campaigns Coordinator from their headquarters in Grass Valley, CA. Seems like a dream job for the right person (or perhaps I’m projecting).
- Speaking of dream jobs, the HSUS has some stellar openings, including a Managing Editor for Online Communications, a Program Coordinator for the equine department, and an Indiana State Director.
- In Defense of Animals also has several current openings, including a Development Officer, and a Director of the Anti-Captivity Campaign.
- The Animal Legal Defense Fund frequently posts job openings from other organizations, too, and currently has some intriguing ones on their list that run the gamut from a Canadian opportunity for scholars interested in animal studies (Postdoctoral Fellowship, anyone?), to a position as Communications Director for the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine, to a job as General Counsel for the Animal Welfare Institute, to a chance to be Associate Director with Equal Justice Alliance.
- As usual, PETA has loads of job openings, including internationally (perhaps you’re interested in Direct Marketing at PETA’s UK office).
- The Sam Simon Foundation is seeking an Executive Director, as is the Coalition for Pets and Public Safety.
This is just the tip of the rapidly melting iceberg. I’m amazed, truly, by the plethora of openings there are for those looking to turn their passion for animal rights into a full-time career. I suppose I’ll take this opportunity to remind you that you absolutely do not need to work for a national organization to advocate for animals (and, in fact, a strong argument can be made for the absolute importance of pouring your advocacy into your “straight jobs,” and/or for creating your own for-profit or non-profit enterprise that changes the world for animals). That said, as someone who has been working professionally in this realm for years now, I totally understand if your dream is to show up every day to an office full of like-minded people who are, like you, not going to settle for anything other than an end to unjust cruelty to animals.
One last tip: Check out VeganJobs.com/resumes/ where you can list your resume for employers to discover, and search for animal rights jobs!